25.11.09

Nazi plate update

You will remember that a few weeks ago, my husband and I made a disturbing discovery: one of our serving platters used to be in the possession of the German Luftwaffe. It has a swastika on the bottom and everything. Thank you so much for all of your ideas and suggestions in response.

I contacted Yad Vashem to see what they suggested and received this in response:

באוסף החפצים של מוזיאון יד ושם נאספים פריטים
ומוצגים ששימשו את הנאצים ואחר כך נלקחו על ידי הניצולים לשימוש פרטי.
כדי לאפשר את העברת הכלי לידי המוזיאון ביד ושם, את מוזמנת ליצור איתי קשר.


If your Hebrew isn't quite up to translating that, here's the bottom line: they have a collection of artifacts like these, and they're interested in receiving this item as a donation. Next time we're in Jerusalem, we'll deliver the plate to the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum. I'm excited to make a donation to such an amazing museum, and I'm glad they want the plate. I do feel that this item represents a pretty interesting history, and I'm happy that it can be stored in a place that will set it in the appropriate context.

I'll let you know what happens when we actually make the donation!

5 comments:

  1. I don't think you should donate it to them. If they wanted to study it, make it available for scholars and researchers to study, or display it to the public - then donate it. But if they just want to complete their set of Nazi dinnerware - you should hold onto it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think donating to Yad Vashem is a wonderful idea.

    ng, I don't think Yad Vashem is merely collecting Nazi gravy bowls for fun: I believe museum items are available for study if you go through the proper channels. I don't see why they wouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ng, I realize that my plate might not be that useful for study, but I'm really glad to donate to a museum that offers such excellent exhibits and is preserving such important historical records. Their motives for collecting these plates are undoubtedly better than any collector I could find online. I was tempted to hold on to the plate when I didn't think a museum would be interested, because I decided I think this item should be preserved, but donating it is an even better option imo. I doubt Yad Vashem is just hoping to serve a Nazi-themed dinner party on a matching set of Nazi dinnerware. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update on this-- that's great that you heard back so quickly from Yad Vashem. Have you had a chance yet to go to the amazing Ghetto Fighters Museum very nearby to you (just north)?? Daddy and I were amazed at how comprehensive it was also-- I was expected a museum housed in a small house, but instead it's a major 3 story museum, with many exhibit rooms. I would think they might also be interested in the plate-- they have many exhibits related to this type of thing. And of course donating the plate to Yad Vashem is an excellent idea.

    Ima in America

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't been there yet... I should ask them before I make the trip to Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails